10 September 2010

Planes, Tranes, and Travel Notes

We’re here!! And by “here” I mean HERE, Interlaken Switzerland! Here’s rundown of our journey from Minnesota to Switzerland:

The plane:

Generally a great flight—it went quickly, despite the fact that neither of us were able successfully sleep much. We hit up the in-flight trivia right away, which was awesome, but would have been more awesome if it wasn’t just Jacob, me, and some guy named John in the 32nd row playing. I watched Date Night with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell—weird movie, not at all what I would have thought. I’d give that a 2 on the old Netflix rating. We both did a little music listening, a little reading, and lot of trying to sleep.
Jacob wins in-flight trivia!

Just barely made the connecting flight to Zurich. Had to go through security again in Amsterdam, which would have been okay, except they literally took apart my carry-on. We ended up running to the gate and OF COURSE it was the last gate in the concourse. Sweatily, we boarded the plane amongst a sea of over- cologned, hair slicked-back businessmen. We were definitely the most underdressed on the plane. Who knew? Good Flight though and we arrived ahead of “shed-yul.”

The train:

Since we will be flying out of Zurich at the end of our trip, we decided to skip sight-seeing in Zurich and get straight to Interlaken. We chose the train with only 1 transfer in Bern. The views were magnificent, especially as we approached Thun, Spiez, and Interlaken. Dark green mountains, puffy white clouds, and a lake so blue that it actually made me wonder if I was on some Disney Swiss-themed amusement park ride (I still think that may be the case).

P1000277
Approaching Interlaken by train
Jacob looking out the window


Travel notes:

1-hour layover in Amsterdam is not enough time. Had the security line been any longer we would have been SOTL.

-Our bags are lot heavier now that we are carrying them “for realsies” instead of testing them out in my living room and pretending to walk the streets of a European city.

-Despite leaving extra space in my bag, once I added all my carry-on stuff, I realized that I probably over-packed. And Jacob is ALREADY talking about sending books back.

-Learning more about the logistics of bag-packing. When you’re staying in a hotel with a shared bathroom, it’s best to have your slip on shoes easily accessible—going to have to do a bit of a repack tonight I think.

Well that’s about it. More on our Interlaken adventures soon, hopefully!

P.S. Sad that the Vikings lost. Kinda glad we missed that one.

3 comments:

  1. This is soooo cool!!! We are having so much fun following your adventures! And, love the pics!!

    P.S. Saw your notes on Twitter too on the US Open...if you get the results of the matche first because your 7 hours ahead of us in time, please don't divulge the winner - ha! Love, Mom & Dad (aka M&J)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please to help me with my "Buuk Sach?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was me in that 32nd row. I am the "John."

    Also, I can't believe you guys didn't know Blaise Pascal invented Roulette. That trivia question was a gimme. Seriously.

    Anyway, this "blog" of yours is fun. Thanks for posting. It almost makes me feel like I'm doing something awesome and life-changing, too.

    Keep it up, guys. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete